Drink your Margarita and eat it too. Wouldn’t that be so dang delicious?!
Cinco de Mayo is coming up quickly.
And, I know your plan was to hurriedly grab your blazer from the back of your desk chair and rush out of the office to meet everyone for happy hour.
But, who wants to do all that rushing just to have to cram into a small establishment, elbow your way up to the bar just so you can order a few expensive watered-down drinks?
I have a much better idea for you.
A few days before, take some time to plan a small party. Nothing huge, just a few of your friends, co-workers, family, whomever you like.
Then, take some time to savor baking. It’s therapeutic.
And, not to mention, the results are divine.
Bake these Margarita-Lime Cupcakes. Add a splash or three of tequila and call it a day. Don’t forget to top it off with a little sea salt and a twist of lime. Yum!
These delectably light-as-air cupcakes are equally as sweet, salty, & tangy as that glass overflowing of blended Lime Margarita you are craving.
Did I mention that these cupcakes will wow everyone you invite over for your happy hour party- which, btw, there’s no doubt that you’re having one.
Not only will everyone thank you, but you will thank yourself,
for slowing down, for enjoying your friends,
and for taking the time to make a damn good cupcake
and some blended cocktails to match it.
Let me tell you, it will totally be worth the $12 that you’re not spending on every single watered-down drink you would order at the obnoxiously loud, over-crowded local chain bar.
Have I convinced you yet? I certainly hope so.
- 1 (16.25oz) box white cake mix
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 ¼ cups pre-made lime margarita mix, non-alcoholic or alcoholic (the alcohol cooks off)
- 4 oz (1/2 pkg) cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp lime zest
- 7 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp (about 1 ½ limes) lime juice
- 5 tbsp tequila (I used Jose Cuervo Gold)
- Sea salt and lime wedge for garnish
- The first 4 ingredients are the same
- 6-7 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp lime juice
- 5 tbsp pre-made alcohol-free margarita mixer
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place cake mix, oil, and margarita mix in large bowl. Beat for 15-20 seconds to combine.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each one.
- Beat on medium speed for one minute, thirty seconds.
- Scoop into prepared cupcake tins, about 2/3 way full. OR, pour into a greased & floured 9x13 pan.
- Bake cupcakes for 14-16 minutes.
- Bake cake for 25-30 minutes, or until center is set and the top is just getting a hint of brown.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Place cream cheese, butter, sea salt, and lime zest in a large bowl. Beat until combined and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar, two cups at a time, and beat on medium speed until fully combined.
- Add the lime juice and tequila, beat until combined well.
- If desired, add food coloring and mix well.
- Store frosting in refrigerator until ready to use. If frosting is too hard to pipe, set out at room temperature for 20 minutes, then beat for 1 minute.
- For stiffer frosting, continue to add powdered sugar one cup at a time until you reach your desired consistency. But, the more powdered sugar you add, the more tequila and lime flavor you lose. Alternatively, the more tequila and lime juice you add, the runnier the frosting will be. So, add your ingredients in small amounts and always continue to beat and taste after each addition.
- Frosting makes approx. 4 cups and frosts 24 cupcakes or 1- 9x13 cake